July 17, 2012

REVIEW: Adorkable by Sarra Manning

The latest novel by contemporary british author Sarra Manning, Adorkable is a breath of fresh air.

Jeane Smith is seventeen and has turned her self-styled dorkiness into an art form, a lifestyle choice and a profitable website and consultancy business. She writes a style column for a Japanese teen magazine and came number seven in The Guardian's 30 People Under 30 Who Are Changing The World. And yet, in spite of the accolades, hundreds of Internet friendships and a cool boyfriend, she feels inexplicably lonely, a situation made infinitely worse when Michael Lee, the most mass-market, popular and predictably all-rounded boy at school tells Jeane of his suspicion that Jeane's boyfriend is secretly seeing his girlfriend. Michael and Jeane have NOTHING in common - she is cool and individual; he is the golden boy in an Abercrombie & Fitch T-shirt. So why can't she stop kissing him?


This if my first Sarra Manning novel after a long amount of moaning from Katie to make me read Nobody's Girl, one of her other YA novels. I'm so glad that I did!

In my opinion, this is the epitome of a contemporary novel. It has a cool concept, (which according to Sarra Manning, does not stem from Tavi) and I really liked how that was incorporated into the plot.

It is written in alternating chapters, from Michael's perspective and Jeane's perspective. They overlap, but that just adds to your understanding of the events, and it's nice to see how they see each other, and what happens between and around them. It's one of the things about this novel that just worked!

Just everything about this novel is so cute, I just can't put into words exactly what made it so compelling -- maybe it was the romance, probably the comedy, the genuine behavior, that one quote I can't get out of my head, or just the great mood?

All I know is that it's awesome, and you have to read it if you liked Meg Cabot, Stephanie Perkins, if you're a girl and between 13 -17.

1 comment:

Anya said...

I really want this book, I've heard such good things about it

Other Posts you might Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...